Fortitude Training (Review)

Discussion in 'Fortitude Training' started by Con, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Robbie

Robbie Top Contributor

I wish I'd never read the bit about 90second sets for pump. It HURTS :sad:(

Been setting a timer and doing 4 reps without locking out, then 4 partials at some point of the movement (tends to depend if over or under estimated what weight to use) until the timer is up. I'm desperate for the 90seconds to be up so I've usually got the weight about right!

2. Getbig25

Getbig25 Top Contributor

What's FT training like for off season guys?

Personally I am a high volume guy. I don't feel I can leave the gym unless I smash the reps out And hit exercise after exercise. Usually train 5 times a week

3. Scott Stevenson

Scott Stevenson Full Member

What's this about 90 seconds?...

-S

4. Robbie

Robbie Top Contributor

5. Scott Stevenson

That 90sec number was purely hypothetical written in the context of time under tension. It's not meant to be a specific guideline whatsoever. If you start doing weird stuff (engaging other muscles) to get to 90s, you're not doing pump sets and if you stop at 90s when you had more in you, then you're not doing Pump sets either.

In other words, you can end up missing out on the hitting the muscle with a focus on metabolic stress if you're setting a time based goal. :)

-S

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  6. Robbie

Robbie Top Contributor

I might not have explained it well that's definitely what I'm doing, just have the timer so I know I'm around that mark. It's only the last week I've managed to get around the 90 secs mark, and I've gone over when I've gone too light :)

7. Scott Stevenson

Well, remember that that Pump sets are to be auto regulated - use a technique that fits what you feel you need in the context of that day (soreness, sense of recovery, etc.) and what you've done that week.

Lots of guys like to have things programmed out specifically, but Pump sets are really mean to be a point of auto regulation (focused on metabolic stress) within Fortitude Training , rather than a kind of set that follows a hard n' fast kind of set (specific rep range, TUT or what have you). Your call of course. :)

-S

Jared likes this.