Style of Dieting for Gaining Size: What Works for You?

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by Con, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Musclexcess Sponsored Athlete Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    One of those questions that could never be answered without a time machine lol.
    I dont think about it too much to be honest, dwelling on what could have been etc

I still say i would of prefered to keep it leaner due to the issues i have no with still trying to shed the remaining stubborn fat

2. Max

Max Competitor

Exactly!

But tbh the high amount of cho refeed's are a pretty big kick in the crotch as the amount of v-ldl output from the liver is immense.
    Ah well all a balance ehe :)

Benefits of staying lean:
    - staying sexy
    - being able to breath while asleep
    - greater life expectancy
    - better health

... just generally better all around.

MUTANT and Dtlv like this.
  3. Con

Con Moderator

There are two negatives...
    1: You get told on internet forums that you need to get big again
    2: Fat men are no longer impressed by your bulk

:lol:

Dtlv, Max and Alex like this.
  4. Max

Max Competitor

lmfao so true :lol:

5. Fatbrah

Fatbrah TMuscle Fatministrator Top Contributor

just had a good read through this, im coming to the conclusion a bulk with lots of clean cals even if its abit over maitance is good for pure size, but then i dont want to get fat at the same time (que the.. your already fat)

atm im experimenting and just trying to learn my body

Gav likes this.
  6. sma

sma Full Member

I WILL NEVER MAX OUT LOL no good post brotha... I like the approach of eating when hungry but eating a macro that fits you and by using food that you digest easily.... like you said constant progresion ... make sure your nutrition matches your diet then it will make you more hungry...

Alot of bros do the bigger meal at breakfast / post workout etc lower carbs before bed ... to help minimize fat gains... what worked for me was what I stated eating macros that fit my body and incorporating some leucine before everyother meal ..also consuming VFA carbs during and or post workout to ensure quicker more effecient recovery as I feel this is THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR

7. bulkaholic

bulkaholic Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    this subject comes up time and time again and something I have always had great interest in (mainly cos I am greedy)

I don't know of any bodybuilder that has reached a decent size that hasn't bulked heavy to gain that first burst of size. they may have forgotten it or don't count it as they weren't competing or winning but I think 99% did it. however that said my usual problem is I struggle to eat enough decent food to grow. I can eat 1200-1500 cals in one meal of sugar but 200g of meat is my absolute limit??

8. Con

Con Moderator

Yes, generally eating the right amounts of food for your body will help your body achieve the goals you seek:whistling::lol:

9. Dtlv

Dtlv Moderator Moderator

In relation to this the way your fat cells are set up changes when you bulk... initially when adding bodyfat you simply fill existing adipose cells, but soon to store the increasing fat levels you synthesise new ones, and the more fat cells you have the more prone the body becomes to storing fat, especially glucose, trigylcerides and long chain sat fats... you also increase more leptin (good in the short term), but if you continue to over consume kcals you then quickly develop leptin insensitivity, which is very bad.

Then when you finally do cut the fat, although lean again you still have more fat cells than you did before, and so will always from then on (unless you have liposuction) always be slightly more prone to fat gain.

Stay lean, avoid extreme bulks, and you keep your body structured in a way that is built against fat storage... but all you have to do is a significant fat gain bulk once and you change this forever.

10. Fatbrah

Fatbrah TMuscle Fatministrator Top Contributor

thats me fucked then!

11. doink

doink PhD in Bro Science

I'm finding 300g pro, 250-350 carbs depending on the day and trace fats works alright for keeping lean while growing. I ease off a bit on weekends but I'll still train if I'm due.

But then on my current doses anything would work so maybe it's all much of a muchness, fell of the wagon the last 2 weeks anyway, week holiday all inc then this week I just can't be arsed.

Back on it from mon with a bit of sensibility returning this weekend.

12. plod

plod Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Just out of curiosity, as i'm struggling to figure out a diet for me, but as a person who in Jan '12 was almost 27 stone, did get down to 18st 5lb in Oct, but is back up to 19st now, does it mean that I should avoid a 'bulk' as i'm more susceptible to increased fat storage? I was initially interested in losing weight, and 'my' diet worked very well for that, but feel weaker than when I was a fat bastard, so think i've lost muscle mass :sad: I've been trying to eat more in the hope that I can build muscle and the fact I do 6 sessions of cardio a week will continue to burn fat.

For added info, i'm not interested in competing, I just want to add some muscle mass, and continue losing body fat, it's just there is so much info (i've probably spent last 2 hours reading stickies on nutrition and still don't feel any wiser, just got a blinding headache lol )

Thanks
    A very confused Plod lol

Gav likes this.
  13. doink

doink PhD in Bro Science

Just above maintenance plod, keep a slight surplus but don't go overboard 3-500 cals.

Monitor and adjust, rinse and repeat...

14. TwoCanVanDamn

TwoCanVanDamn Account Suspended

Dirty bulking provided protein is high is what I go with

15. Northern Lass

Northern Lass Top Contributor

Is bulking the same for women as it is for men??

Posted using TMuscle App