Political, Economic And Current Affairs Discussion Thread

Nowt wrong with trying to stay positive Ronnie

Bang on Harry mate did you see that Italy opened up 50,000 restaurants because they were fcuked off with it all,also Germany were talking about opening up businesses in defiance as well.

Can you imagine if the uk govt had tried pulling this shit in the 70's/80's there would have been a revolution

No didn't see that mate, but seen the French taking to the streets a few times in protest and actually getting things turned around, here, most people will be happy as long as it doesn't affect their Sky, Play station, mobile etc, sad really.

Reactions: RAD
No didn't see that mate, but seen the French taking to the streets a few times in protest and actually getting things turned around, here, most people will be happy as long as it doesn't affect their Sky, Play station, mobile etc, sad really.

Russia,Italy,France,Spain,Germany to name a few are all out protesting and getting things done ,a protest in Spain had the police in with the protestors shouting freedom even the cops have had enough.UK doesn't seem to have anything going on or is that it's just not being covered by the news?.

Looks like Boris and the boys have found another new strain and this one's even deadlier.........Aw fcuk off lol.

Russia,Italy,France,Spain,Germany to name a few are all out protesting and getting things done ,a protest in Spain had the police in with the protestors shouting freedom even the cops have had enough.UK doesn't seem to have anything going on or is that it's just not being covered by the news?.

Looks like Boris and the boys have found another new strain and this one's even deadlier.........Aw fcuk off lol.

Not too much if any mate, maybe in the run up to the election, but there probably is, problem is that wankers see it as the perfect excuse to loot and rob and use it as cover to start shit and commit crime so any message gets pushed to the back.

Been protests in liverpool mate not loads of people like say 300 a time

Interesting article from George Osborne predicting the break up of the UK

Scotland doesn't really need another referendum on Independence anyway.
All they need is Scotland having a referendum on re-joining the EU.
Different method, same outcome.

If Scotland vote in favour of that and Westminster cannot facilitate it, then we have a serious political crisis on our hands …the precedent was already set with Northern Ireland - which will not face non-tariff barriers as it will effectively remain within the EU's single market for goods. Thus it cannot be denied to Scotland.
They will simply claim it's undemocratic and indefensible for Scotland's democratic mandate to be ignored and for them to effectively be kept prisoner (in a failing country). It's probably also illegal.
How would the world react to that?
We wouldn't have a leg to stand on, as far as Crimea is concerned.

Alternatively, Scotland and Wales might advocate for staying, but only on the condition of UK re-entry to the EU.
No matter how Boris tries to play this one, he's in checkmate.
George Osborne already admitted the same and said he will be remembered as the worst PM in British history - the one who broke the Union.

Osborne in fact advocated for simply denying Scotland any form of referendum at all.
In the famous words of JFK:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable".
I suspect he actually did that to increase the pressure on Boris - as Cameron and himself famously detest Boris, and vice versa.

Everyone in Europe looked on helplessly when the Tories pulled us out of EU, but they're positively aghast at the Tories tearing up of the Human Rights Bill and wrecking the Council of Europe.
Has anyone thought about how the world will react when the Tories start executing their plan to deport hundreds of thousands of people? lol!
We are slowly sliding into the lunatic fringe with Turkey, Hungary and Poland.

Compared to a few years ago - the Scottish now have an array of genuinely tangible and highly emotive economic consequences to contrast against staying in the Union.

My prediction is that Scotland will leave. They'll drop their Corporate Tax Rate, hoover up Foreign Direct Investment and Northern England will suffer the brunt of the economic fallout as business will flee over the border (and from London, no doubt).

Scotland wont get an independence vote anytime soon, as it was once in a lifetime vote before, not once every 7/8 years lol.

I think they'll get it mate, one way or another:

Sturgeon vows to hold ‘legal’ second independence vote in Scotland
https://www.ft.com/content/93402eaf-9f48-43f7-bf59-981b8273d2e6#comments-anchor

And TBH, if Scotland did get the ref and did vote to leave, they'll be fecked and bankrupt within 5 years, if not sooner. They have massive debt, wouldnt be allowed to join the EU due to debt as well as Spain using a veto. Scotland cant survive without subsidies. And Wales would be even worse lol.

There are no real rules around joining the EU in respect of debt - only the EMU.
If there were, we would have been booted out anyway, given our debt has gone over 110% of GDP (with a volatile pound).
The 60% figure is the reference range, but Greece, Italy and Portugal have 176%, 134.8% and 117.7% respectively.

Spain are unlikely to veto Scotland joining - they have a new agreement with Gibraltar in light of Brexit, much like NI have, and a UK breakup will likely hasten the return of La Linea to Spain.

NI, that would be a massive can of worms and will only bring back the days of past with bombings and shottings. Unionist will never accept being part of Ireland.

It looks like Brexit is truly changing the political landscape:
DUP leader Arlene Foster has said a potential vote on a united Ireland would be "absolutely reckless".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55783805
She was speaking after a poll commissioned by the Sunday Times in NI found 51% of people want a referendum on Irish unity in the next five years.

The polling was carried out by Lucidtalk in Northern Ireland, with similar polling in England, Scotland and Wales to gauge attitudes towards the union.

It found that in Northern Ireland, 47% still want to remain in the UK, with 42% in favour of a united Ireland and 11% undecided.

However, for those aged under 45, supporters of Irish reunification outnumber those who want to stay in the UK by 47% to 46%.

Respondents also said they believed there would be a united Ireland within 10 years, by a margin of 48% to 44%.

The Middle-class population is growing and other parties are doing better, including Alliance and SDLP.
If they vote to leave the UK, and the Republic votes to reunify, the Irish state will technically cease to exist and a new federal-state will be born.
Practically speaking, it will be the death knell of the DUP and Sinn Fein - which would be a relief for many in both islands.

Here is George Osborne on the same
By unleashing English nationalism, Brexit has made the future of the UK the central political issue of the coming decade. Northern Ireland is already heading for the exit door. By remaining in the EU single market, it is for all economic intents and purposes now slowly becoming part of a united Ireland. Its prosperity now depends on its relationship with Dublin (and Brussels), not London. The politics will follow.

Northern Irish unionists always feared the mainland was not sufficiently committed to their cause. Now their short-sighted support for Brexit (and unbelievably stupid decision to torpedo Theresa May’s deal that avoided separate Irish arrangements) has made those fears a reality. It pains me to report that most here and abroad will not care.

Everyone is going to get taxed to feck on everything, that much is true. I just wish the government had given the NHS money to cope with the virus as and when needed to stay open rather than borrowing 500 billion to keep the country shut, lockdowns dont work. You cant hide away from a virus.

Yea, I agree there mate.

The Tories are pressing ahead with a whole host of contractionary measures - the exact worst thing they can do at the current moment in time for the economy. Some of the things Rishi Sunak has been suggesting are very concerning.

And as it stands, they can basically borrow money interest-free at the moment, so it's made even less sense.

Not too much if any mate, maybe in the run up to the election, but there probably is, problem is that wankers see it as the perfect excuse to loot and rob and use it as cover to start shit and commit crime so any message gets pushed to the back.

That's the problem a riot would play straight into their hands people need to follow what others have done peaceful protests and businesses opening back up in defiance to sit and do nothing will just make them do more shite imo.But there is talk of businesses opening back up at the end of the month let's hope it comes to fruition.

Been protests in liverpool mate not loads of people like say 300 a time

It's a good start at least it shows that people are not just rolling over, hopefully this number will grow as the govt keep piling on the pressure... something's got to give

That's the problem a riot would play straight into their hands people need to follow what others have done peaceful protests and businesses opening back up in defiance to sit and do nothing will just make them do more shite imo.But there is talk of businesses opening back up at the end of the month let's hope it comes to fruition.

It's a good start at least it shows that people are not just rolling over, hopefully this number will grow as the govt keep piling on the pressure... something's got to give

Many round here have already stuck two fingers up RAD, you can see their point when they're closed down, but the 'party balloon shop' can stay open lol.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-55791179
Gordon Brown says UK is headed to become a failed state without reform.

Never known anything quite like this in my lifetime - just last week Theresa May spoke out against Boris.
This week it's Gordon Brown.
John Major, Cameron and Blair have all spoken out already.
All totally unprecedented.

The SNP have published their roadmap to referendum.
https://mcusercontent.com/4fae14f57...-91aa-0ea911c369e9/Roadmap_to_Referendum_.pdf

The breakup of the UK will be the worst geopolitical catastrophe of the 21st century.
Disaster for Europe and US, Disaster for NATO, and disaster for the UN - and a huge gain for Russia and China.

Boris is clueless as ever.
I'm amazed that he has been allowed to continue this long - highest per-capita daily death toll of any other country in the world, worst economic contraction

Why haven't the Tories used 1922 to boot him out?

Many round here have already stuck two fingers up RAD, you can see their point when they're closed down, but the 'party balloon shop' can stay open lol.

Balloon shop LOL Although balloons are a essential item to be fair :) I was in a diy shop over here and they had red tape around the BBQs and garden chairs I asked the lad who works there "what's that all about?" He said "we can't sell them at the minute as they aren't essential" but then said "if you need a BBQ or chairs go over to Agriloja as they are selling them because they don't give a shit" I just laughed.

I see it's kicking off in Israel and Holland the Holland lot set fire to a covid testing station and were disbursed with a water cannon like I said I don't think riots is the way forward but I can fully understand that people are well fcuked off with it all.

Balloon shop LOL Although balloons are a essential item to be fair :) I was in a diy shop over here and they had red tape around the BBQs and garden chairs I asked the lad who works there "what's that all about?" He said "we can't sell them at the minute as they aren't essential" but then said "if you need a BBQ or chairs go over to Agriloja as they are selling them because they don't give a shit" I just laughed.

I see it's kicking off in Israel and Holland the Holland lot set fire to a covid testing station and were disbursed with a water cannon like I said I don't think riots is the way forward but I can fully understand that people are well fcuked off with it all.

Why would anyone of sound mind torch a testing station ffs, sounds like what I mentioned earlier mate, shitbags and looters is my guess (shitbags is an all encompassing term btw lol).

Funny you should say about the taping off of areas for non-essential items, was in the local decorating shop yesterday and he mentioned that one guy they shut his shop down for his stock being non-essential yet he sold most things on offer at B and Q !

Never known anything quite like this in my lifetime - just last week Theresa May spoke out against Boris.
This week it's Gordon Brown.
John Major, Cameron and Blair have all spoken out already.
All totally unprecedented.

The SNP have published their roadmap to referendum.
https://mcusercontent.com/4fae14f57...-91aa-0ea911c369e9/Roadmap_to_Referendum_.pdf

The breakup of the UK will be the worst geopolitical catastrophe of the 21st century.
Disaster for Europe and US, Disaster for NATO, and disaster for the UN - and a huge gain for Russia and China.

Boris is clueless as ever.
I'm amazed that he has been allowed to continue this long - highest per-capita daily death toll of any other country in the world, worst economic contraction

Why haven't the Tories used 1922 to boot him out?

Glad you've said that Dan, Johnson's been very smart from the off here in convincing the general public he "gets them" and is "one of us", but he just has a posh voice, popular he may be but to run a country ? Nah, he was just a watered down British version of Trump for me, winging it to the extreme.

I thought the Dutch would be more chilled. Why kick off over a curfew when everything's shut anyway? What have you been stopped from doing that was so important...?

If we keep get illegal raves here there'll be a curfew too

Back